Skip to main content

Joint Audit Committee Minutes 19 December 2019

Meeting Minutes


Date: Thursday 5th December 2019
Time: 2.30pm
Location: Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner, St George’s Chambers, St George’s Street, Winchester

Committee Members:

Melvyn Neate (MN) Chair
Peter Lloyd (PL)
Gordon Manickam (GM)

In Attendance:

Ms Sara Glen (SG) Deputy Chief Constable, Hampshire Constabulary
Mr Andrew Lowe (AL) Chief Finance Officer for the Police and Crime Commissioner
Mr. Richard Croucher (RC) Chief Finance Officer for the Chief Constable, Hampshire Constabulary
Mr Terry Lowe (TL) Director of Force Development, Hampshire Constabulary
Mr Rob Sarfas (RS) Principal Accountant (Hampshire County Council)
Ms Karen Shaw (KS) Chief Internal Auditor, OPCC and Hampshire Constabulary
Mr Richard Andrews (RA) Head of Standards and Compliance, OPCC
Mr Rob Griffiths (RG) Strategic Risk Manager, Hampshire Constabulary
Mr Neil Shovell (NS) Chief Internal Auditor, Thames Valley Police (by conference call)
Ms Amanda Cooper (AC) Assistant Chief Officer, Thames Valley Police (by conference call)
Ms Nadia Siouty-Burke (NSB) Programme Office Manager, OPCC
Ms Anja Kimberley (AK) Head of Performance & Information, OPCC
Ms Shirley Semke (SS) Executive Office Manager, OPCC (Minutes)

 

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS

Members were mindful that, where they believed they had a personal or prejudicial interest in any matter to be considered at the meeting, they should at the time of the debate, declare their interest and consider whether to leave the meeting whilst the matter was discussed. There were no declarations of interest.

APOLOGIES

Liz Mackenzie, Katherine Pears, Sarah Croft, Kevin Suter

411. CHAIR’S REPORT (ITEM 9)

The selection of the Chair for the next year was discussed. It was noted that the existing ToR (Terms of Reference) are out of line with Government practice and are to be adjusted. The committee proposed that the Chair and Vice-Chair are both appointed annually for up to 4 years and then a one year break taken before further re-appointment. Approval for this is to be sought from the PCC and CC and the ToR to be amended.

Action 85(SS): PCC and CC approval to be sought for amendment to ToR.

PL noted that the ToR also state that the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) should attend regularly. The CEO is to be reminded.

Action 86(SS): SS to advise CEO of need to attend JAC meetings regularly.

The Chair has attended a number of additional meetings:

  • TVP (Thames Valley Police) Joint Audit Committee meeting. There was a great deal of synergy with the Hampshire JAC but there were a number of differences in content which had been discussed at the JAC Members pre-meeting.
  • Joint Collaboration Board. MN had taken assurance as the Risk Registers from JC and TVP were compared and reviewed at the meeting.
  • CIPFA Training meeting. The national shortage of auditors has resulted in some significant delays in getting annual accounts signed off. Hampshire is fortunate that our accounts were signed off on time.

412. MEMBERS’ REPORTS (ITEM 10)

  • GM attended the CIPFA conference and conclude that the committee scrutinises audit reports well. The meeting also highlighted that External Audit is not timely and current low fees are not sustainable.
  • PL asked whether there is a formal structure to request PSAA (Public Sector Audit Appointments). RC advised there are national meetings. AL added that there is a national review of the PSAA at the current time.
  • RA advised that the members reports will be used to confirm expenses in the future and members are asked to advise of attendance at any meetings at JAC meetings please.

413. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 23RD JULY 2019, MATTERS ARISING AND ACTION LOG (ITEM 11)

The minutes were agreed as a correct record.

414. EXTERNAL AUDIT – AUDIT PROGRESS REPORT 2019/20 (ITEM 12)

No report was provided by the external auditors.

415. SIRO (SENIOR INFORMATION RISK OFFICER) REPORT (ITEM 13)

  • The report, compiled and published in June 2019 is joint for HC and TVP and signed off by both CCs (Chief Constables).
  • AC outlined the structure of the report. There will be increasing accountability in the future as a new joint ICT meeting is to be introduced. The report is broken down by section and includes an exercise around Ransomware and business continuity amongst other items.
  • MN asked if we are intending to become PSN (Public Service Network) accredited. AC advised we are at amber and working towards green though the PSN network is to be replaced as the contract is coming to an end.
  • MN referred to paragraph 37 of the report, summary of reported security incidents and asked whether there are cultural differences between HC and TVP. HC advised the differences are more around methodology of data transfer and reporting systems.
  • GM asked about data loss. AC confirmed this is a total figure and drilling down into the information confirming very little total loss.
  • AC advised the roll out of Windows 10 has started.
  • PL referred to paragraph 38 and the Sophos system numbers. AC will check the data and correct. There is no increase and AC will update the report.
  • GM asked about the cyber-attack. What did IT health checks reveal and what marking was there for information security? AC will provide this information.
  • GM questioned the overall SIRO assessment. AC confirmed the department is performing well which is confirmed by the report. All data breaches are reported and dealt with.
    Action 87 (AC): AC to provide information on IT health checks.
  • SG left the meeting at 2.45pm.

416. INTERNAL AUDIT PROGRESS REPORT 2019/20 (ITEM 14)

The report outlines a summary of the work in progress and all is on track for completion by the year end.
RC noted that there has been a change to the Modern Slavery Policy and there is now a Modern Slavery Statement therefore it would be appropriate to check that targets are being met. This was supported by GM.

417. TREASURY MANAGEMENT MID-YEAR REPORT (ITEM 15)

  • RS presented the report giving an explanation of the balances and plans for the capital programme. Some borrowing may be needed with the new Estates requirements. The Treasury have recently increased borrowing rates and there is a requirement to maintain a £10million core balance. The team is working with the CFOs and Arlingclose to invest a further £5million, some of which will go to a property fund though not M&G.
  • Table 5 showed an increased risk and work is ongoing to reduce this.
  • MN queried table 4 and asked which Local Authorities were used. RS advised that due diligence was completed before investing, no investment is made with Northants and the CFOs and RS work closely together.
  • MN further questioned flexibility to take advantage of lower interest rates in the event of a financial climate which lowers rates. RS advised that investments are related to bank rates and Equity investments would offset lower rates. Arlingclose advice is followed.

418. DATE OF NEXT MEETING/FORWARD PLAN (ITEM 16)

The next meeting is Tuesday February 11th 2020.

419. ANY OTHER BUSINESS (ITEM 17)

The Members requested a list of dates of appointment to the JAC and dates when re-appointment is due.

Action 88(SS): list of dates to be circulated to JAC members.

Meeting closed 15.05pm.

 

Agenda

DATE: Thursday December 5th 2019
TIME: 1pm
VENUE: Conference room, Office of the Police & Crime Commissioner, St George’s Chambers, St George’s Street, Winchester, SO23 8AJ
CONTACT: Shirley Semke, 02380 479682

1. DECLARATION OF INTERESTS
All members who believe they have a personal or prejudicial interest in any matter to be considered at the meeting must declare that interest and consider whether to leave the meeting whilst the matter is discussed, save for exercising any right to speak. The declaration should be made at the time of the relevant debate.

2. APOLOGIES

PART 1 – MATTERS TO BE CONSIDERED IN PRIVATE

EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC
To resolve that the public be excluded from the meeting during the following items of business, as it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the public were present during these items there would be disclosure to them of exempt information within Paragraph 3 & 7 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972, being information relating to the financial or business affairs of any authority that hold that information and any action taken or to be taken in connection with the prevention, investigation or prosecution of crime. Further that in all the circumstances of the case, the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons set out in the report.

3. SELECTION OF JAC CHAIR FOR THE NEXT YEAR (Oral)
To confirm the Chair for the coming year.

4. CONFIDENTIAL MINUTES
To receive, and confirm as a correct record, the confidential minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 23rd July 2019.

5. OFFICE OF THE POLICE AND CRIME COMMISSIONER’S STRATEGIC RISK REGISTER UPDATE
To consider the Strategic Risk Register for the OPCC.

6. HAMPSHIRE CONSTABULARY’S STRATEGIC RISK REGISTER UPDATE
To consider the report of the Strategic Risk Register for HC.

7. INTERNAL AUDIT PROGRESS REPORT – CONFIDENTIAL
To consider a confidential report of the Chief Internal Auditor together with copies of the internal audit reports issued since the last report in July 2019.

8. AUDIT REPORT – UPDATE ON ACTIONS OUTSTANDING
To consider the report of the Director of Change

PART 2- MATTERS TO BE CONSIDERED IN THE PRESENCE OF THE PRESS AND PUBLIC (this session will commence at 2pm)

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS
All members who believe they have a personal or prejudicial interest in any matter to be considered at the meeting must declare that interest and consider whether to leave the meeting whilst the matter is discussed, save for exercising any right to speak. The declaration should be made at the time of the relevant debate.

9. CHAIR’S REPORT (Oral)
The Chair to report as appropriate.

10. MEMBERS’ REPORTS (Oral)
To receive notification of attendance and appropriate updates at other committees or boards by members.

11. MINUTES, MATTERS ARISING AND ACTION LOG
To agree the minutes of the meeting on 23rd July 2019 as a correct record, and consider any matters arising.

12. EXTERNAL AUDIT – AUDIT PROGRESS REPORT 2019/20 (Oral)
To consider the report of the external auditors.

13. SIRO ANNUAL REPORT 2018/19
To consider the report of the Senior Information Risk Officer (SIRO).

14. INTERNAL AUDIT PROGRESS REPORT 2019/20
To consider the report of Chief Internal Auditor on progress to date.

15. TREASURY MANAGEMENT MID-YEAR REPORT
To consider the report of the Chief Finance Officer on the Treasury Management strategy.

16. DATE OF NEXT MEETING/FORWARD PLAN
The next meeting is on Tuesday 11th February 2020.

17. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

MEETING CLOSED

PART 3 – PRIVATE DISCUSSION WITH INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL AUDITORS
(IF REQUIRED)

ABOUT THIS AGENDA:

This agenda is available on Police and Crime Commissioner’s website (www.hampshire-pcc.gov.uk) and can be provided, on request to 01962 871595, in alternative versions (such as large print, Braille or audio) and in alternative languages. Any papers are also available on request.

ABOUT THIS MEETING:

The press and public are welcome to attend the public sessions of the meeting.

If you have any particular access requirements, for example if you require wheelchair access or a hearing loop, please contact us on 01962 871595 in advance of the meeting to make the necessary arrangements.

This site uses cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work, and we'd like to use analytics cookies to keep improving our website. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. For more information please see our Cookies Page.


Necessary Cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.


Google Analytics

We use cookies to compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions in order to offer better site experiences and tools in the future.