This site uses cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work, and we'd like to use analytics cookies to keep improving our website. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. For more information please see our Cookies Page.

Necessary Cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Google Analytics

We use cookies to compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions in order to offer better site experiences and tools in the future.

Skip to main content

Domestic Abuse

Key Contacts

(In an emergency, please call 999)

If you would like independent support or advice, please contact:

Additional Local Contacts:

  • Victim Care Hub – 0808 178 1641 (all areas)
  • Hampton Trust – 02380 009898
    (service for perpetrator interventions in Hampshire , IOW and Southampton)
  • Up2u – 0330 016 5112  (Service perpetrator interventions in Portsmouth)

National Domestic Abuse Contacts:

  • National Domestic Abuse Helpline – 0808 2000247
  • If you’re a child or young person and domestic abuse is happening in your home or relationship, then call Childline – 0800 1111
  • Karma Nirvana (for ‘Honour’ based abuse) – 0800 5999 247
  • Advice Line – 0808 8010327
  • Man Men’s Kind Initiative – 01823 334244
  • Galop (National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse helpline) – 0800 9995428
  • Respect National Helpline (perpetrator help) – 0808 8024040
  • SignHealth (providing domestic abuse service support for deaf people in British Sign Language (BSL) – WhatsApp or Facetime: 07970 350366. Telephone: 020 3947 2601
  • Stay Safe East (specialist and holistic advocacy and support services to disabled victims and survivors of abuse)

Unsure if your online activity is being monitored? Hide your browsing history. Use a ‘private browsing function on your device now. At the end of your session remember to close your private browsing window.  How to enable private browsing. If you are not using private browsing clear your history.

What is Domestic Abuse

Any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality. The abuse can encompass, but is not limited to psychological, physical, sexual, financial, emotional.’

Domestic abuse can take different forms, including:

  • physical abuse
  • sexual abuse
  • financial abuse
  • coercive control / emotional abuse
  • digital / online abuse
  • honour-based violence
  • forced marriage
  • female genital mutilation (FGM)

How do I know if I, or someone I care about, is in an abusive relationship?

Stop Domestic Abuse provides a comprehensive list of potential signs of an abusive relationship.

The NSPCC site includes useful information on signs that children are living with domestic abuse.

The Youth Commission raise a flag campaign lists signs of an unhealthy relationship and includes some useful links for further information and advice.

I am concerned someone may be abusive

The Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (also sometimes referred to as ‘Clare’s Law’) gives any member of the public the right to ask the police if their partner may pose a risk to them.

The aim of this scheme is to provide a way for people to ask about an individual who they are in a relationship with or who is in a relationship with someone they know, and there is a concern that the individual may be abusive towards their partner.

If police checks show that the individual has a record of abusive offences, or there is other information to indicate the person you know is at risk, the police will consider sharing this information with the person(s) best placed to protect the potential victim.

The scheme aims to enable potential victims to make an informed choice on whether to continue the relationship, and provides help and support to assist the potential victim.

Make a Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme  request via Hampshire Constabulary.

I am concerned about a member of my staff

The Government has put together a Domestic Abuse Guide for Employers to help them support members of staff who are or may be experiencing domestic abuse.

In addition there is the  Hampshire Safer Business Partnership and Hampshire Constabulary guide for employers