This site uses cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work, and we'd like to use analytics cookies to keep improving our website. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. For more information please see our Cookies Page.

Necessary Cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Google Analytics

We use cookies to compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions in order to offer better site experiences and tools in the future.

Skip to main content

Council Tax

The council tax bill is shared between a number of public services including council services, police and fire.

The council tax you pay for policing and services to support victims and reduce offending is called the precept and equates to a percentage of the total. This which varies depending on where you live.

Read the 2024-2025 council tax leaflet

Download the PDF here

The portion of council tax that residents of Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth and Southampton pay towards services that keep them safer is one of the lowest in the country and accounts for 41% of the total funding available for these services locally; the other 59% is made up of a national grant from Government.

Find out more:

How the council tax is set

The policing budget