Council Tax

police5

Paying for your policing – budget for 2017/18

The precept decision for 2017/18 takes into account both the immediate and medium term resourcing requirements that enable Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, Southampton and Portsmouth to be safer now and in the future.

Following consultation an increase of 3.12% per year, in the policing element of the precept has been set by the Commissioner for 2017/18.

For a Band D resident this equates to an additional £5 a year or 10p a week.

This increase generates an extra £3.3 million for Hampshire Constabulary; it means current level of funding from central government is protected, allows the current level of neighbourhood policing to be maintained and will enable some further enhancements and modernisation to police services.

The Commissioner is currently consulting you
on the policing budget for 2018/19
Take the survey to have your say!

Council tax at each band

Band Tax
Band A £110.31
Band B £128.69
Band C £147.08
Band D £165.46
Band E £202.23
Band F £239.00
Band G £275.77
Band H £330.92

Police funding

The 2017-18 budget for the Police and Crime Commissioner and Hampshire Constabulary is £306m. The majority of police funding (66%) comes through Government grants, with the remaining 34% coming from the Council Tax precept.

 

Council tax collection

The police precept is collected via local councils and will be included within the council tax bill issued by them.

The information below shows the *council tax base and the total precept therefore expected from each council area

Collection Authority Tax base Precept
Basingstoke and Deane 63,376.90 10,486,341.87
East Hampshire 48,900.79 8,091,124.71
Eastleigh 44,118.34 7,299,820.54
Fareham 42,371.60 7,010,804.94
Gosport 26,409.70 4,369,748.96
Hart 39,444.23 6,526,422.30
Havant 39,937.00 6,607,976.02
Isle of Wight 52,137.10 8,626,604.57
New Forest 70,155.20 11,607,879.39
Portsmouth 55,329.90 9,154,885.75
Rushmoor 30,424.24 5,033,994.75
Southampton 62,900.00 10,407,434.00
Test Valley 47,315.00 7,828,739.90
Winchester 47,794.31 7,908,046.53
Total 670,614.31 110,959,843.73

 

*The council tax base of a local authority consists of the number of band D equivalent dwellings in the area. 

Further Information

Please contact your local council if you have any queries about your council tax bill or council tax support.

Please use the contact form for any further queries