The Police and Crime Commissioner secured £275,179 from the Government’s Safer Streets Fund in addition to 20% matched funding. This money will be used to invest in crime prevention measures within the Riverdene Estate and Festival Place area in the Eastrop & Grove ward (and part of the Brookvale and Kings Furlong ward).
The Safer Streets Fund will fund a range of proposals that will contribute to Basingstoke being a safer place to live, work and visit. The project has a challenging completion target date of 31 March 2022. Work has been underway with a range of local partners to develop detailed plans and work is proposed to take place in the following key locations currently experiencing high rates of crime:
- Goats Lane
- Riverdene Estate
- Joices Yard
- Glebe Close
- Festival Place
- Central Car Park
The proposed measures include:
- Improved street lighting.
- Improved CCTV coverage.
- Security for external garages.
- Bike locks and marking kits.
- General environmental improvements and maintenance to improve safety.
- General improvements to the area for the benefit of the local community.
The work will be carried out in partnership with the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Hampshire, Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council and other important community partners in line with Council planning and other regulatory processes.
If you live, work or study in this area, we would like to understand your thoughts and views on the project. This will help us to carry out research into crime prevention and feelings of safety to support evaluation of the project and wider community safety. Due to the nature of the funding, consultation occurred with key partners prior to application so the proposed measures are confirmed. Take the Safer Streets 2 survey.
Bike lock and marking event
Hampshire Constabulary, the Police and Crime Commissioner and Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council are holding a free event for bike owners in Festival Place Market Square on Wednesday 27 October between 12:30pm and 4:30pm, to improve bike security and reduce theft in the district.
PCSOs will be fitting marking kits to bikes, and staff from the PCC’s office will help to get people signed up to BikeRegister. Permanently marking your bike and registering helps to identify and recover bikes if they are stolen, while Gold Standard locks approved by Secured by Design will help to deter and prevent bike theft from happening in the first place.
Anyone can turn up with a bike to get it marked and registered, and also bring your old bike lock to participate in the exchange for a gold standard lock.
The services they will be offering are:
- Bike Marking: Registering on BikeRegister means you could be reunited with your bike in the event of it being stolen. To reduce the chances of becoming a victim of cycle theft, security marking kits can be fitted. It’s a highly effective, visible deterrent to bike thieves. They know that if they are caught with a registered bike, the owner can be traced and they will be arrested.
- Bike Locks: An accredited bike lock will act as a strong deterrent to any thief. A Secured by Design approved Gold Standard lock has been tested to determine resistance against attack. The longer it takes a thief to break through a lock, the more likely they are to get caught.
This event is being funded as part of the Safer Streets project in Basingstoke. The Safer Streets Fund resources a range of proposals that contribute to Basingstoke being a safer place to live, work and visit. The work is being carried out in partnership with the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Hampshire, Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council and other important community partners.
As part of the Safer Streets project in Basingstoke, we are offering free garage security items to residents within the Riverdene Estate to prevent and deter burglaries. The garage security items available for installation are the following:
- Defender Shock/Contact Shed Alarm – Defender Security Products
- Federal 4025 Sold Secure Silver CEN4 Hasp & Staple – Federal Direct
- Federal 730 Key Retaining Sold Secure Silver CEN4 Steel Padlock – Federal Direct
- Defender Max Ultra Solar Security Light – Defender Security Products
- Stickers & Signs – Solon Security
Residents can request these to be installed on their garage, free of charge as part of the Safer Streets Fund and these will be installed by an experienced contractor. The lighting and signage will not be one per garage as it is not necessary but will be put on garage blocks in the first instance. If you have a single garage then these will be based on priority, for example the garage blocks will be a higher priority as they are further away from properties, if there are some left over this will be a first come first served basis.
The items are police approved and are designed to make it very difficult for someone to break into your property. The better the quality, the longer it takes someone to break in, so the more likely they are to be caught. If residents would like to request this free equipment, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org referencing ‘Safer Streets Basingstoke’ with your address and a contact number.