The Big Conversation
Each year, the Youth Commission speak to young people across Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, Portsmouth and Southampton to get their concerns, views and ideas.
The Big Conversation 2023 in now open!
Each year we consult those aged 14-25 on our priorities. This year we want to hear your thoughts, experiences and solutions to tackling Safe On The Streets, Domestic Abuse, and Relationships With The Police. Alternatively you could tell us about something else.
We read every response and collate them into recommendations that are presented to decision makers, such as the Police and Crime Commissioner and the Chief Constable, at our recommendations conference each year.
The Big Conversation2023 is open now! Please follow this link: https://survey.alchemer.eu/s3/90526467/Youth-Commission-Big-Conversation-2023
If you would like to be a part of the Youth Commission to help set the priorities for 2024, fill out an application form to join us.
The Big Conversation 2020-2021
During 2020-2021 we looked at: exploitation, hate crime, and serious violence.
The results of the Big Conversation were announced at the end of November at our recommendations conference.
- 40% told us hate crime was their top concern
- 30% said it was serious violence
- 23% told us they were most worried about exploitation
- and 7% had a different concern.
In 2020-2021, we spoke to 2,042 young people about their concerns and our priorities. This chart shows who took part:
With the thousands of responses we receive, we make recommendations to decision makers who can make positive changes for our future. In previous years we recommended a Cyber Ambassador scheme after you told us it was important. The Cyber Ambassador scheme is now in over 140 schools and colleges!
The Big Conversation 2020
In 2020, we spoke to 1,054 young people about their concerns and our priorities. Here’s how we did:
- 37% told us hate crime was their top concern
- 32% said it was serious violence
- 22% told us they were most worried about exploitation
- and 9% had a different concern.
Themes and trends
Through our Big Conversation young people share their thoughts, experiences and solutions. This is a list of all the codes our members identified.
You can see all of the information we’ve gathered by age, district and priority.
The Big Conversation 2019
We spoke to 2,645 young people about their concerns and our priorities. Here’s how we did:
- 35% told us substance misuse was their top concern
- 29% said it was unhealthy relationships
- 25% told us they were most worried about anti-social behaviour
- and 11% had a different concern.
- Our 35 members helped run and attend 87 events across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, in total volunteering 820 hours of their time.
- We worked with 39 different partners, and 78 people attended our recommendations conference and pledged to help us deliver them.
The Youth Commission used the Big Conversation responses from 2018 to reply to the Department of Education.